Tuesday, March 26, 2013

This news alert just in - I hate protoss!

Big surprise to everyone around - I am butthurt about something!  I just got done playing 2 games, both losses  First one was to a Zerg who 10-pooled me - I made a conscious decision to try and macro up a little bit and see if I can defeat any early pressure.  The answer to that question is a resounding NO.  I actually did okay with my drone control, and with some lings I was able to get out.  The pressure was too much, though - he killed off 90% of my drones and lings and I knew the next wave would kill me.  GG.  Not sure what I could have learned from that game, other than 10 pool too.  I guess that game was against the spirits of the poor souls I six-pooled earlier in my meteoric rise to the silver ranks - karmic retribution!

Next game was against a protoss.  I made the same choice - macro up, but a few bases down, and get out a nice roach/hydra army.  I started out slow - which seems to be okay against protoss as they simply hunker in one base until it's safe for them to come out.  I got an army of around 175 supply - a good mix of roaches and hydras, with a few +1 upgrades!  I marched out and the armies clashed later in the game and I roundly defeated him.  I tried to push forward a little bit but a choke of a few immortals and stalkers prevented me from taking his second.  That was enough time for him to death-ball up again.  I wasn't able to get enough units out this time, and he roundly crushed me from there.  Our armies were nearly equal supply (I actually had a 5-6 edge), but he still beat me.

What did I learn from this most recent match?
I think I have to be a little bit more ballsier in my pushes.  With my combined roach/hydra force I roundly defeated him during the first engagement.  I should have kept the march up and eliminated his second.  When I started that, I saw a massive warp-in of zealot and stalkers which scared me into retreat.  From the replay, I think I had sufficient forces to at least kill, or cripple, his expansion, but I did not do that.  Should have pushed on.
I did a little bit of a better job teching in this one - I got quite a few +1 upgrades, as well as the standard buffs like roach and hydra speed/range.  I could have put down another evo chamber and went harder, as I eventually had some bank saved up over the last 5 minutes or so.  Speaking of teching up, I may want to explore different unit compositions, especially against protoss.  That race gives me time to tech up and get some units out - maybe next time I'll get some swarm hosts out and running into their expansion.  I think that would have been a good choice.  A good way to mix it up with hosts is to throw a nydus network outside their second (well outside) and unload some swarm hosts, queens, and other forces.  You can spread some creep and deploy forces to that front a lot faster that way.  I've seen TLO do it - but I'm sure I don't have the coordination to do it.  Just an option.  Additionally, I could have just gone +1 zerg and went to Ultras.  I actually got a hive this time (I wanted to tech into mutas and brood lords if I was able to get any footing), and I had the bank for a good chunk of ultras.  I'm sure that would have turned the tide of that last battle.
I also need to do a better job with my larvae injections and creep spread, as usual.  I was better on both counts but I know I missed numerous occasions to help my forces.
On a side note, my APM has plummeted, but I've gotten so much better.  When I started I was nervous and fluttery, and my APM was all over the place - click click click click - with no real purpose.  Now each of my clicks has a purpose, thought out at least a second or so before.  Each click means a lot more now.  Just an observation.

Ultimately, I still hate protoss.  Two equal sized armies always favors the protoss - but that's now I shoul dbe playing.  Zerg aren't meant to stack up army to army, and protoss colossus really hit about their supply number.  I needed to maybe establish some earlier roach or swarm host pressure to keep him occupied and diverting attention from teching.  It also give me a tech advantage too - if he needs to continue using his gateway units (instead of immortals or colossus) then I have the advantage.
I'm getting better, but I still hate playing protoss.

No comments:

Post a Comment